This shows the inside of one of my favorite cakes, Donauwelle.
I absolutely LOVE this cake.
Tart Cherries mixed in black and white cake, topped with buttercream and a thin layer of chocolate. What’s not to love?
Well…if you ask my kids (who unfortunately don’t eat this cake), it’s the cherries that they don’t love! LOL
So when I make this cake, I know right away I will gain some weight. But hey! I am good enough, I am smart enough and people like me (SNL, was it Stuart Farley? The guy always looking in the mirror)
If you are interested in the recipe, click on more.
– For the Cake:
- 2 sticks + 2 tbs of margerine (250 gram)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract (guessing here. One pack of vanilla sugar is what I am using)
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar (250 grams)
- 5 egg white
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups of flour (350 grams)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 can of pitted tart cherries in water (if you can find it)
- 2 tsp of cocoa powder
For the buttercreme:
- 2 egg yolk
- 2 tsp of rum or rum imitation
- 2 sticks and 2 tbs of margerine or butter(25o grams)
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar (250 grams)
Directions for cake:
- Beat margerine until soft.
- Gradually add sugar, then Vanilla, then egg yolk.
- Mix flour with baking powder, sift and mix into the mixture.
- Beat egg white in separate bowl until stiff. Lift under your dough. Don’t stir it in. Lift it under. It will make the dough lighter.
- Sift your cocoa powder over 1/2 of your dough and mix in.
- Drain water from cherries.
7. Line your bar pan (I use a German baking sheet shown here. Bar pan is the closest American thing I know) with parchment paper.
8. Spread your white dough out evenly.
9. Spread your chocolate dough on top of the white one and place cherries on top.
You will want that whole can of cherries on there. It’s the best part of the cake.
10. Bake cake at 350 for 25 to 3o minutes.
When you take it out, flip it upside down. Wipe over the parchment paper with cold wet towel. That will help getting the parchment paper off easier. Take paper off.
11. Flip cake back right side up.
I use a cheap food tray for all that flipping.
12. While cake cools, mix your buttercream. Spread over cool cake.
13. Heat up semi sweet chocolate (Ghiradelli works great) and spread over buttercream.
14. Cool cake and keep in fridge. It tastes delicious when cold.