One of my kids (and my) favorite German side dish are dumplings made out of rolls. We had them yesterday and I thought I would share the recipe with you. If you like bread and doughy food, you will like this.
Ingredients: (first measurements makes about 5 dumplings, second listing makes around 16)
- 150 grams of flour (2/3 cup according to conversion chart) – 400 grams of flour (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 eggs – 4 eggs
- backing powder, tip of a knife full – 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 rolls cut up in 1/2″ cubes – 7 rolls cut up in 1/2″ cubes
- club soda
- Salt, nutmeg, parsley, chives and Maggi (German seasoning, if you have it) to season
- unseasoned bread crumbs to thicken dough
–Mix flour eggs and seasoning. Add a bit of club soda. It helps for the dumplings not to be too dense. Add milk until the dough is thick liquid. I use a hand whisk.
-Add bread cubes and mix with your dough.
Each bread cube should be covered in dough. If dough is very sticky, add breadcrumbs.
– Wet your hands with cold water. Form dumplings. Make sure you press dough together well or it will come apart when boiling it in salt water.
– Bring water to boil. Add about 1 tbs of salt. Add your dumplings into boiling water.
Bring water to boil again. Then let simmer with lid on for 20 minutes. Take dumplings out after and serve….or if you like them a bit dryer, put them in the warm oven for about 5 minutes to dry.
– Serve with a dish that has lots of gravy!
Almost forgot to take that picture….so some of the food has already been eaten. LOL
I made roast with the dumplings yesterday. I also like to make them when I make Chicken with creamy Paprika Sauce.
Have a wonderful day! I need to get breakfast now. This post made me hungry.